Super Bowl 53 is in the books, and it’s confession time: our family is more interested in the commercials than the game. We actually sometimes MUTE the game and UNMUTE the commercials. Does anyone else do that? And even more than the ads, we are into the food…
Why is it that I crave pigs-in-a-blanket, chips smothered in queso and chicken wings solely around the beginning of February? It’s the weird food vibe of the Super Bowl. And while the game is now over, those weird food vibes live on. FREEZER BBQ CHICKEN TAQUITOS would be an awesome football food. Want to rewind back to last weekend for a football food do-over? Or maybe just bookmark it for next year;)
Freezer BBQ Chicken Taquitos are also a perfect dinner idea for kids, AND they take about two seconds to put together. Loads of our awesome followers have requested KID-FRIENDLY meals, and this one ticks that box for sure.
Plus, it’s so easy, you could actually have your kids help put the taquitos together. Fun Family Food Project! Cook some now and freeze the rest for one of those too-busy-to-think-about-dinner days. And perhaps for next year, when that football thing rolls around again.
- 2 pounds shredded chicken *See notes
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce (We like Stubbs or Kinder's)
- 1 large bunch green onions
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese + more to top (We love Tillamook!)
- 25-30 corn or whole wheat flour tortillas
- Avocado, coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro, thick stems removed
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeno
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken, bbq sauce and green onions in a bowl. Stir to combine well.
- Heat tortilla in microwave to soften, about 30 seconds.
- Place a few tablespoons of chicken mixture down the middle of tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam down on cookie sheet. Continue with the rest of the tortillas.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer. Once taquitos have frozen, they can be stored together in a ziplock bag or freezer container.
- To cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush frozen taquitos with a little avocado, coconut or olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve with lime avocado dipping sauce.
- Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Store in fridge until ready to use.
*We like to make a huge batch of shredded chicken in the instant pot and keep in freezer to use in recipes like this.
*This recipe makes a lot of taquitos, but the lime avocado dip recipe serves 4-6. The dip must be eaten fresh (or at least the day after it's made) and can't be frozen. So, if you are serving a bigger crowd, simply double or triple the recipe for the dip.
*If serving the taquitos immediately (not freezing first), heat oven to 400 degrees, brush taquitos with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!