Introducing Churro Poppers with Dipping Sauce…drool.
Patrick is obsessed with churros. I think his fetish for these cinnamon-sugary treats began when we were visiting Huntington Beach in California. He discovered a little beach-side shop that served churros stuffed with sweetened condensed milk and dipped in a sugary glaze. Ever since then, he’s loooved churros. (And anything that has to do with cinnamon-sugar…)
He randomly tags me in Facebook videos of homemade churro recipes…droppin the hint left and right. And I finally caught on. So these Churro Poppers are for you babe.
I mean really, I don’t blame him. It’s a brilliant combination. (Raise the roof if your mom made you “sugarmon toast” as a child…toasted bread, melted butter with cinnamon and sugar on top?? Yup, I thought so.)
Now I recognize that we promote “healthy living” on this blog and usually post healthy recipes. But to us, healthy living means finding balance…enjoying Churro Poppers with Dipping Sauce from time to time without feeling even an inkling of guilt. So no, these are not “healthified.” Well, they are baked instead of fried, so I guess they are “healthier” in a way, but that’s because we wanted this to be a relatively simple recipe with an easy clean up.
But hey, if you want to fry them, all power to ya.
Now, let’s take a second to talk about those dipping sauces…
The first is a Mexican chocolate dipping sauce. A.K.A. rich chocolate mixed with cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of cayenne pepper. YAASSS…
The second is a maple-vanilla dipping sauce. We used pure maple extract in this one to give it that strong maple flavaaah. (Most grocery stores carry it by the vanilla extract or you can order it here).
Once you make the purchase, you can try making not only this delicious dip, but also our salted maple energy bites, which are bomb.com. So really, it’s worth the investment. (If you can call $4 spent on maple extract an investment 😉 …)
So get in touch with the inner child in you…the one that begged for churros at the circus, county fair and basketball game. You’re the adult now. You get to make that decision to eat Churro Poppers with Dipping Sauce and feel dang good about it.
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 6 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. maple extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a small saucepan add half and half and butter. Heat over low heat until butter is melted.
- Add chocolate chips and continue to heat until melted, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add rest of ingredients. Stir until incorporated, cool and serve.
- Add all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. (Either one 24-tin or two 12-tin)
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixture, beat together sugar and butter until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients, mix and then add the half and half. Add rest of the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Use a Tbsp. to scoop dough into muffin tin holes.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, until just golden brown.
- While churros are baking, melt butter in a bowl. Combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- When churros come out of the oven, immediately remove from the pan and dip each one in butter first and then roll in cinnamon-sugar coating until completely coated.
- Dip into sauce and enjoy!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!