I love when I can make a homemade version of one of my fave restaurant foods. Take this Asian Chicken Veggie Bowl for example…
I’ve recently become a fan of Zao Asian Cafe. They have so many delicious options and their menu is healthy and fresh. #winning. I always order a rice bowl loaded with extra veggies and top it with their delish chili lemon grass sauce. I know you’re thinking that they are paying me to say this, but noooope, honestly I just love their menu and wanted to give them a little shoutout. 🙂
This Asian Chicken Veggie Bowl is kind of inspired by Zao’s but also kinda not because it’s fairly different. Regardless, I just really love bowls. I get sooo excited when restaurants have that cute diagram on their menu…
1.”Pick your grain”
2. “Pick your protein”
3. “Pick your veggies”
4. “Pick your sauce”
It gives you so much freedom and creativity to make your own delicious bowl, so you feel like you were a part of the creation of your food. Maybe that’s the food blogger coming out in me haha. My husband prefers ZERO “work” on his part when eating out (or in for that matter 😉 ) but I love being a part of the process.
The fun part is that this Asian Chicken Veggie Bowl is super customizable to whatever floats your boat. We’ve used some of our favorite veggies that work well in an Asian dish, but don’t let our suggestions stop you from getting creative.
That’s why I LOVE bowls…you can throw all sorts of ingredients at them, and it almost always turns out as a colorful, flavorful and delicious meal. 🙂
- 1 1/2-2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1-2 red or yellow peppers
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup carrot chips or shreds
- 2 cups brown or white rice or quinoa
- bean sprouts, jalapeño slices, sesame seeds (optional for garnish)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. Asian sweet red chili sauce or Sriracha (optional)
- Drain chicken pieces and place in a large ziploc bag. Add half of marinade and let sit for at least one hour or overnight.
- Take chicken out of marinade and grill over medium heat until cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side. (Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.) Discard used marinade.
- Add zucchini and peppers to grill and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes per side.
- Saute snow peas and carrots until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put rice in bowl and add all other ingredients. Drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Combine all ingredients together in a jar or blender and mix until emulsified.
**PREP TIME DOES NOT INCLUDE MARINATING. The chicken should marinate for at least one hour or overnight.
*Be creative with this! Use whatever grains, veggies or protein you prefer to create your own fabulous Asian-inspired bowl!
Want to try some more of our fave Asian-inspired dishes? Give these a try: