Fudgey Peppermint Bites. Because yes, fudgey is a word in our vocabulary….
You know how during the holiday season, your counter slowly begins to overflow with neighbor gifts? Bits of fudge, caramel-covered apples, assorted chocolates and of course, always the candy canes.
Loads of candy canes.
We’re going to let you in on a little secret of ours. It’s called re-gifting. Yup. And we’re not talking re-gifting as in tying a new bow on that box of See’s Chocolates and sending it off. Oh no…that’s off-limits in the gift-giving world. (A.K.A. I have definitely done that in the past. You gotta survive while in a pinch, ya know?)
We’re talking re-purposing.
Step 1: Take those candy canes…smash them up with the new rolling pin your neighbor tied onto the loaf of bread she baked you.
Step 2: Use those bits of crushed yumminess to coat these tasty Fudgey Peppermint Bites.
Step 3: Wrap them up with a bow, and send them to the neighbor who sent you those little candy canes, as well as all the others who so kindly gave you a holiday gift.
It’s kind of like a holiday prank, but one that your neighbors will love. Because who wouldn’t LOVE these Fudgey Peppermint Bites? Really. They are soft and squooshy with a little pepperminty crunch. Naturally sweetened with only dates, and packed with protein powder, almonds and coconut oil.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 14 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted to a liquid
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract
- 6 Tbsp. warm water
- Crushed peppermint candy canes
- In a powerful food processor, combine pitted dates and almonds. Pulse until almonds are chopped into tiny pieces.
- Add the protein powder, cocoa powder, melted coconut oil, peppermint extract and water. Mix until a sticky dough forms. (If too wet, add more protein powder, if too dry, add more water).
- Taking about 1 Tbsp. dough at a time, roll into small balls and coat with crushed candy canes.
- Store in an air-tight container in fridge or freezer.
***This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!