Ahhhh… Freezer Meal Honey Sesame Chicken …
There’s just something about sweet, sticky, shredded chicken wrapped into a lettuce bowl and topped with carrots and scallions. It just gets me every time…
I’m seriously DIGGIN these freezer meals. Baby boy Romero’s due date is exactly TWO WEEKS from tomorrow…eeek…so you better believe my freezer is stocked with meals like this. It will be so nice to have the option of popping this out of the freezer, right into my instant pot, and dinner is served.
I’ve eaten this in a lettuce wrap, but it’s also delicious over white or brown rice with some sautéed or roasted veggies. My husband has been loving this chicken folded into a little roll as a slider, with a bit of sliced avocado and some roasted red peppers as well. So many tasty ways to use this Freezer Meal Honey Sesame Chicken!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Combine onion through red pepper flakes in a large freezer Ziploc bag. Seal and massage/shake ingredients together so they are all combined. Add chicken breasts to bag and gently flip sealed Ziplock over to coat chicken in sauce. Place in freezer.
- When ready to cook, remove from freezer and place in instant pot. (It can help to run the sealed Ziploc bag under some warm water to loosen frozen ingredients from bag).
- Set instant pop to high pressure, manual, and cook for 17 minutes. Natural release.
- Once all the pressure has been released and safety valve drops, carefully remove lid from instant pot.
- Shred chicken (either inside pot or on a cutting board) and place back into instant pot. Turn to saute.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch/tapioca starch and cold water and add mixture to instant pot, along with sesame oil. Stir while heating to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off instant pot and enjoy! (See notes for ideas of how to use).
*Ideas of how to use chicken: Serve in lettuce cups with shredded carrots and thinly-sliced scallions, serve over rice with steamed or roasted veggies, serve on a slider bun with avocado and roasted red peppers.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!