I literally ate this Veggie Fried Rice every day for a week.
You know how you get on a food kick…and it just sticks? Some people are more phase oriented than others. My brother-in-law for example, is the ultimate “phaser.” When he starts something, whether it be rock climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, he is all-in-can’t-think-about-anything-else. I think it’s a good thing to be passionate about whatever it is you’re doing. And lately, I have been very passionate about Veggie Fried Rice. 😉
I gained a real appreciation of fried rice when I spent two months in Southeast Asia. Lemme tell you, we ate A LOT of fried rice. There were times in Asia when our options were grisly, hairy (yes, HAIRY) chunks of meat in broth or another heaping bowl of steaming fried rice. So yes, we had a lot of fried rice. Obviously.
But really, I’m all about the fried rice! It’s the ultimate comfort food, and it doesn’t have to be packed with ham and fried in canola oil. Nope, we’ve healthified the classic fried rice for you here, and we think you’re gonna love it.
You can call this Veggie Fried Rice, or you can call it by its more accurate name: every-leftover-veg-in-your-fridge-fried-rice. That’s why I love this stuff. By the end of the week, if you have leftover veggies that are starting to get a lil soft, just sauté them up with some coconut oil and rice, add an egg or two and BAM. You avoid wasting that expensive produce and you can have a delicious veggie-packed meal in minutes.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth + 1/4 cup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 small can water chestnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toppings: green onions, red pepper flakes, soy sauce
- Boil 2 cups of chicken broth in a saucepan. Stir in rice, turn heat to low, and cover with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is soft and water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, chop veggies.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant, zucchini, red pepper and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in corn, drained water chestnuts, garlic and spices. Stir to combine and heat 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Stir to combine and heat another 2-3 minutes, allowing veggies and rice to soak up liquid.
- Push rice and veggie mixture to one side of the pan. Crack eggs into the skillet and mix around, scrambling them. Allow to cook until eggs begin to firm, then push eggs into rice mixture. Stir gently to mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with chopped green onion, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.
P.S. It’s officially our FINAL WEEK of the Veggie Challenge! And check out this LOOT you can win for joining the challenge: