It’s 100 degrees outside. Steamy hot. Lazy, hazy, can’t-move kind of hot. That thermometer just seems to shoot up right about this time of year, for a couple weeks. Just in time for my daughter (and Sarah’s sister), Katie’s birthday. HaPpY BiRtHdAy, Katie!!! Katie HATES the heat. Her best day is cool, cloudy and rainy. So naturally her bday falls on the farmer’s almanac most-likely-day-of-the-entire-year-to-be-sunny-and-hot! Sorry, Katie. And so, to distract her on her day of hot and sweaty celebration, we plan fun activities and fun food. Like this Raspberry Blueberry Tart! Cold, fresh, sweet berries in a shortbread cookie crust cover with whipped cream.
The perfect distraction for Katie which just also happens to be the perfect RED, WHITE and BLUE dessert for any upcoming 4th of July party! Convenient, yes?
Can I just brag on Katie for a minute? This girl is AMAZING. She is the most loving, kind, thoughtful person on the planet. She’s constantly thinking of what she can do for other people.
She spent a year and a half on a mission for our church, serving people in and around Philadelphia all day, every day, with no thought for herself. She is also super talented. She’s the most incredible artist and has given me some of my most favorite pieces that hang in our home (the giant sheep painting being my very fav!)
She plays the piano by ear and has a beautiful singing voice. And she has a hilarious sense of humor. She’s married to the very cool Noah and will become a mama in just two months. That little boy is a lucky duck!
Have a Katie in your life? Planning a big 4th of July backyard bash? Or just need a little something sweet to distract you from that heat wave? Raspberry Blueberry Tart will do the trick.
Nobody will know how easy it is to make, but they will know how good it tastes. Happy Birthday! Happy Independence Day! Happy Summer!
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Pinch salt
- 10 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 cups fresh blueberries and raspberries
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and blend with pastry cutter until small clumps form. Gather dough into ball. Press over bottom and up sides of tart pan with removable bottom.
- Pierce with fork. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan.
- Add water. lemon juice, butter and lemon zest.
- Add 2 cups berries and mash with potato masher. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Fold in remaining berries and transfer to crust.
- Refrigerate. Serve with whipped cream.
*Tart can be prepared and kept in fridge at least 24 hours before serving.