This week, I’ve been mixin things up with Apple Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash in the mornings…
Are you an oatmeal-every-morning kind of gal? Or maybe scrambled eggs and avo toast is your jam. I know some of you are rolling your eyes right now, because you’re too busy for that nonsense…it’s been sugar cereal for 10 years straight. (If this is the case, you and hubby would get along great. 😉 )
Whatever your breakfast routine is, it’s usually that. A routine.
Most people don’t mix things up very often when it comes to breakfast. Sure, maybe you’ll make a batch of pancakes on the weekend, but your day-to-day breakfast routine looks very, well, routine.
But do you know what is really good for us humans?
To get out of routine once in awhile.
To push yourself beyond your comfort zone and try something new.
Go a different way on your daily run. Brush your teeth with your left hand. Wear a dress when you usually wear pants. Life is too short to zombie our way through it thoughtlessly…eating the same bowl of cereal for breakfast, driving the same road to work, traveling to the same summer vacation spot every year…you get my point. A poet in the 1700s wrote that “Variety is the spice of life,” and gosh, I think he knew what he was talking about!
So. Instead of scrambling your egg for the five billionth time tomorrow, mash up a sweet potato. Mix in some coconut oil, a dash of cinnamon and some salt and pepper, and top it with warm cinnamon apples and your favorite breakfast sausage.
Take a bite, and savor all the flavors of this Apple Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash.
You may be surprised how refreshing it can be to mix life up a bit, even if it is just your breakfast routine.
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 2 apples, your favorite type (I used gala)
- 6-8 breakfast sausages (I used Brat Hans Chicken Breakfast Links from Whole Foods)
- 4 medium baked sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil to one side of a large skillet. Heat until melted.
- Chop apples and sausage into bite-sized pieces and place next to each other in a skillet, putting apples in the melted coconut oil. Heat on low heat, stirring occasionally. (This is assuming the breakfast sausage is already cooked through. If it's not, you'll want to cook those first and then add the coconut oil and apples towards the end.)
- Meanwhile, scoop sweet potatoes out of skins and mash in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil to bowl and microwave 45 sec - 1 min, until heated through. (If you've just baked them and they are still warm, you won't need to microwave them.)
- Add maple syrup and 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp. on warm apples and stir around a bit to coat.
- Divide sweet potatoes onto plates, top with warm apples and sausage.
- Garnish with more cinnamon if desired.