This week is BREAKFAST week, and we’re starting it off with these Sweet Potato Hash Browns!
Who here loves breakfast food? Ok, those who just raised your hand, we can be friends. Breakfast is by far my fave meal, for a few reasons. The first being…breakfast food. Like, nuff said, am I right?
Never ending combos of creamy oatmeal, veggie omelets, avocado toast, smoothie bowls, waffles, pancakes, bacon, granola…AAAAH. Are you now feeling explosive feelings of happiness and gratitude for breakfast foods? Cause I am.
The second reason I love breakfast, is that it’s the first meal of the day. Which means, clean slate. I don’t have a day full of eating behind me, with maybe one too many white chocolate chip cookies in my belly. Nope, I wake up hungry and ready to start the day off with a nutritious, energy-packed meal. And these sweet potato hash browns most definitely fall under that category.
Whip up some spinach-filled scrambled eggs to go with it, slice an avocado on top and you’ve got a deliciously healthy breakfast that will keep you nice and full till lunch.
So, how about we make a goal together. When we wake up and start rummaging through our kitchens with “what’s for breakfast” on the mind, let’s try to make it a healthy meal. Because if you start the day off right, you’re much more likely to make smart, healthy “food decisions” throughout the day.
Cheers to breakfast.
- 2 sweet potatoes (4 cups once shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour (almond flour for gluten free/Paleo)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 yellow onion, about 1/2 cup diced
- Salt and pepper (to taste...needs quite a bit!)
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Grate the sweet potatoes (skin and all!) with a cheese grater or food processor.
- Using your hands or a cheese cloth, squeeze excess moisture out of potatoes, working in batches if needed. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, flour, paprika, diced onion and salt and pepper into the sweet potatoes.
- Form into patties.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet and cook the hashbrown patties until golden brown.
- Flip and cook the other side until brown, about 5 mintues per side. Add additional coconut oil in between patties if needed.
- Garnish with additional salt.
P.S. We are knee deep (Week Three) in the Veggie Challenge! This week’s giveaway (thanks to our lovely sponsors) is fantastic, so if you haven’t signed up for the challenge yet, check it out!