Can we be serious here for just a minute? Summer Berry Oreo Ice Cream could very well be one of the best things we’ve ever made. Possibly the very best. That’s a serious claim. Not to be taken lightly.
We know it’s technically September and ya’ll may be moving out of “summer mode” and into “pumpkin spice mode…” but we just couldn’t help squeezin in one more summery recipe. It’s just tooo good not to share.
And so, the backstory: It was inspired by a trip we took this summer to Santa Barbara. We fell in love with Santa Barbara’s beaches, its beautiful homes and cute downtown. Not too long into our trip, we discovered something sinfully good: McConnell’s Fine Ice Cream. (They ship their ice cream too so goodbye I’m going to go place an order now…)
Oh. My. Goodness. We stumbled upon this cute little ice cream shop early in our trip and proceeded to go there EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. We were obsessed. Their unique flavors blew our minds: honey and cornbread cookies, olive oil and salted almonds, sea salt cream and cookies, sprinkle cake, wild sweet clover. I mean, come on! How do you resist that?
Not long after we arrived home, I planned a birthday celebration for Drew. He loves raspberries, so raspberry ice cream seemed like a given. Until. I thought to myself, “What would McConnell’s do?” Nothing wrong with raspberry ice cream, but we could definitely take it up a notch.
Throw in some blackberries. Good, but still.
And then, the idea: Oreos. Oh yea, baby. That was it. Oreo chunks folded in to that soft blackberry raspberry goodness. Weird combo? Maybe. But it totally works. There was much rejoicing in the land. People scooping right from the ice cream maker. Oohs and aahs all around. Second and third helpings. Requests to lick the bowl. Nirvana. Heaven on earth.
Something this good just has to be shared. SUMMER BERRY OREO ICE CREAM.
Inspired by McConnell’s. Created by Kiwi and Carrot.
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries (we use raspberries and blackberries)
- 1 cup sugar (plus more if berries are not sweet enough)
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 package Oreos, broken into pieces
- Wash berries and combine in blender. Blend until smooth. If desired, add about 1/2 cup sugar to sweeten.
- Strain berries through a sieve to remove seeds.
- Add all ingredients except Oreos to ice cream maker canister. Stir until combined well and no sugar crystals remain.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker manufacture instructions.
- When finished, fold Oreos into mixture, place in freezer-safe container and freeze until solid.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes to soften before serving.
You diggin homemade ice cream? Check out our ice cream round up post for some more recipes!