My mom was a big party planner. I’ve talked about this before, but she LOVED to throw parties, especially at the holidays. I spent a lot of nights peaking around the corners of the living and dining rooms with my sisters, spying on the grown-ups and listening to their grown-up conversations. It all seemed very sophisticated. These parties were where Grandma Beautiful’s Christmas Citrus Slush was born…the perfect drink for a holiday fete.
Because of her reputation for throwing phenomenal events, my mom was asked to demo some of her favorite party recipes for a local newspaper. My mom had pulled out all the stops by the time the reporter and photographer arrived at our house…
She had polished all her silver, set her table with her best Christmas china and whipped up her yummiest recipes. She even let me and my sisters participate! We got all dressed up in our Christmas dresses, curled our hair and stood next to her for the photos, feeling like we were the coolest cats around. And what beverage did she serve?
Citrus Slush of course.
Flash forward 40 years and here we are, still throwing parties and still serving Grandma Beautiful’s Christmas Citrus Slush. It’s stood the test of time for good reason.
Made with just 5 ingredients, it’s super refreshing, tasty and comes together in 5 minutes. Plus, literally everyone goes nuts over it. What could be better for a hostess during the busiest of months?
Grandma Beautiful’s Christmas Citrus Slush…what a merry holiday bevvy!
- 4 cups ruby red grapefruit Juice
- 4 cups 100% pineapple juice
- 4 cups fresh orange juice
- 3 bananas
- 4 cups (or more to taste) Sprite
- Freeze juices overnight. Take out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature until half thawed. (Once half thawed, place juices in fridge to maintain consistency.)
- Mash bananas.
- Place juices in punch bowl. (They should still be fairly solid.) Add bananas and Sprite.
- Using a couple forks, break up frozen juice chunks until slushy, adding more Sprite as needed.
- Combine well so bananas are mixed in.
- If desired, top with frozen ice ring before serving.
*Please note that recipe includes overnight freezing time. This literally comes together in 5 minutes, once it has been frozen and half thawed!
*Adjust amounts according to the number of people you're serving. This can go very big or very small easily!
*For ice ring: In a Bundt cake pan, place orange and lime slices, fresh cranberries and rosemary sprigs. Add water to cover and freeze overnight. Let sit on counter 5 minutes before removing from pan.