You would think that the zombie apocalypse was on its way…
But no, it’s just a baby.
About five weeks to go until this little guy joins us, and I am in full “nesting” mode over here. I find myself just sitting in his unfinished nursery sometimes, amidst the mishmash of tiny clothes. We need to get a dresser…
It’s a strange feeling, knowing that life as you know it is about to change forever. That in a few short weeks, a tiny little human will knock us off our feet and turn our world upside down. It’s thrilling and terrifying and we’re just so excited.
I’ve been doing some serious prep work in the kitchen to get ready. Last week I made a huge double-batch of Grain Free Granola to keep in the freezer for when he comes. I have multiple bags of our fave spaghetti sauce piled on top of Korean bulgogi in the freezer as well. And let’s just say my last Costco trip was NOT a cheap one. Hello beef jerky, protein bars and trail-mix. I’m stockin up…don’t think we’ll starve. 😉
This week I decided to add another freezer meal to the mix. Freezer Meal Chicken Wild Rice Soup! Yup, you better believe I have a few bags of this stuff chillin in the freezer…just waiting to be dumped into my instant pot and turned into a delicious, filling meal for a tired mama.
A few notes on this recipe…
1) I like to write the cooking instructions right on one of the ziploc bags before putting ingredients in it. I write what to add in before cooking (how much chicken broth), how long to cook in instant pot, and what to add (and how to add it) after it’s done cooking. That way I don’t have to take the time to look up the recipe when I’m ready to make it!
2) If you’d rather just make it immediately and skip the freezing step, go for it! I haven’t tried it, but would assume that reducing the cooking time to 20 minutes instead of 30 would be perfect.
3) Slow cooker version…from frozen, cook on high for 4 hours.
Yay for Freezer Meal Chicken Wild Rice Soup! It’s hearty, healthy and soooo convenient come dinner time.
- 1 lbs. chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots (4-5 large carrots)
- 1 cup rinsed wild rice (I get mine at Trader Joe's)
- 8 oz. chopped portabello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 large russet potato
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter or ghee, softened to room temp or melted
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half (or canned coconut milk for dairy free)
- Salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes to taste
- Fresh thyme and shredded parmesan cheese for topping, if desired
- Prep all the veggies and rinse the rice. Add all ingredients from chicken to russet potato to a large ziploc bag. (Make sure to place russet potato on top of ingredients in bag, as you'll need this to be on top while cooking.)
- When ready to cook, remove from freezer and place frozen ingredients in instant pot, making sure russet potato is on top.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cook at high heat for 30 minutes, and then allow a natural release for 10 minutes before letting the rest of the steam out.
- Carefully remove the potato and place in a blender. Add butter and milk to blender and mix until smooth. Add back to instant pot.
- Remove chicken from instant pot, shred, and return to instant pot.
- Stir everything together, season with salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes (to taste) and top with fresh thyme and parmesan cheese if desired.
*Slow-cooker version: from frozen, cook on high for 4 hours, then complete instructions 4-6.