Chili Rubbed Steak with Corn Tomato Salsa…
When you’re cooking for Mother’s Day, things are a little more complicated. You have to round up the 3 million ingredients that make up your mom/wife’s favorite gourmet salad and you have to make sure the charcuterie board is stalked with her favorite meats and cheeses. And don’t get me started with dessert. Her favorite it creme brûlée. 😉
Father’s Day? Buy a steak and fire up the grill babay…
That’s something I really appreciate about men. At least the men in my life.
They prefer simplicity.
My dad has this uncanny ability to hold a very stressful job and NEVER GET STRESSED. I feel like in his mind, things are black and white, and he’s able to tap into logic and reason amidst any stressful situation. It’s a gift really.
While we’re on the topic of my dad, I think it would be appropriate to introduce you to him. His name is Papa D.
I have more appreciation for him than ever right now as he helped my husband and I build a home this past year, so I got to experience first-hand how good he is at his job. He’s the ultimate problem solver, incredibly generous with his time, money and talents, and always seems to see the glass half full. Cheers to Papa D!
Cheers to all the men out there as Father’s Day is fast approaching. This Chili Rubbed Steak with Corn Tomato Salsa is a tribute to you men. In a way, it’s more of a “Mother’s Day version” of steak and salsa…a few more ingredients than your hamburger patty and Pace Salsa jar, but we can guarantee you, it’s worth the work.
So Happy Father’s Day to all you fathers and fathers-to-be!
We love you and appreciate what you do for this world.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Juice and zest of two limes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 flank steak (approx. 1 1/2-2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups corn
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- Put evoo, honey, lime juice and zest, minced garlic and salt and pepper in a large ziplock. Seal and shake to combine.
- Add steak to the bag, seal and shake to coat meat. Let it marinate on counter while you prepare the rub and salsa.
- Measure all ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- If using fresh corn, cut corn off cob.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and spread corn kernels evenly around the pan. Heat until corn begins to brown on one side, stir and continue heating until roasted on all sides. *Alternatively you can grill the corn to roast it and then cut it off the kernel.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. **Roasting the corn is optional but brings out the flavor.
- Chop all ingredients and toss together.
- Drain steak; discard juices. Rub both sides liberally and evenly with dry rub mix.
- Grill over high heat for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Pull off heat and tent with foil for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain and serve covered with salsa. Serve extra salsa in a bowl.