I love a good shortcut. I don’t think I’m lazy, but maybe a little bit impatient? I just love getting stuff done so I can move on to the next thing on my list. (Yep, I’m a list person.)
I never sift dry ingredients. I use the “quick wash” setting on the washing machine. I buy deli-roasted chickens to use in recipes. I always buy no-iron men’s shirts. And my family’s definitely all in for the shortest means to an end. Everyone in the family drinks water right from the tap, lapping it up over the sink (much to the horror of my very proper mother!) They also eat over the sink, so they don’t have to wash any plates. Need a shower? A little dry shampoo and a clean shirt’ll do, at least according to the women of our fam.
And the WORST…my boys have been known to chug-a-lug straight from the milk jug, usually as they’re cowering behind the fridge door, trying to be invisible. I do draw the line there. That’s just gross.
One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken and Vegetables is the ultimate shortcut. You know those days when it’s five in the afternoon, you’re exhausted, kids are grumpy, house a mess, and your inner hysteria is bubbling very close to the surface? That’s right. Whip out ONE pan, throw some thighs and taters at it and chuck the whole thing in the oven.
Then head to your bedroom, splash a little water on your face, sit down and just breathe. It’s gonna be okay. You’ll make it. In less than an hour, you can present your family with a beautiful platter of juicy chicken and vegetables that they’re gonna love. You’re the star once again, the glue that holds it all together, and you’ve just given them a gloriously simple, delicious meal. You’re Wonder Woman!
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 8-10 red potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 6-8 bone-in chicken thighs
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 10-12 asparagus spears
- 10-12 pimento-stuffed green olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Cover one cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Roughly chop onion and thinly slice potatoes. Place in thin layer over cookie sheet. Salt and pepper.
- Roast 20 minutes.
- Trim extra skin off chicken thighs and place on top of potatoes.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon zest and juice, chopped thyme, chopped parsley, minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle 3/4 of it over chicken and potatoes, reserving the rest for later.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place asparagus spears around chicken. Slice olives (if using) and place around chicken as well. Drizzle remaining dressing on top.
- Place back in oven for another 10-15 minutes, until chicken in cooked through or temperature reaches 165º F.