What are some of your latest life FAILS? I’ve had many, oh so many…
Grilled portobello mushroom burgers. For some reason, my fam absolutely hates them. The black and white pointy-toed shoes that hurt so much I will never, ever wear them again. The first SIX attempts to make a vegan pumpkin pie for a company collaboration. The insane idea I had that I am artistic enough to design our family Christmas card all by myself. The day I turned into a construction site accidentally and had to drive down the sidewalk to get out of it…
These are just some of the epic fails I’ve had in the past couple years. I’m sure if I really thought about it, I could come up with at least another couple dozen or more. Actually, probably hundreds more. It’s embarrassing just thinking about it.
Blackberry Peach Galette, however, is NOT one of them! Raise your hand high if you’ve had, let’s say, a less-than-perfect encounter with pie-making. We hear this from so many people. Epic fails all over the place. So we taught you how to make a yummy galette last winter to help rectify your failed pies forever.
Now we want to re-introduce you to the galette. An invention by those savvy Frenchmen, a galette is basically a freeform pie. Freeform as in share the love, no stressin’, it’s cool, peace out with a perfect little pie kind of freeform. Make the crust. make the filling. That’s basically it. No fancy edges, no complicated lattice designs, just some fruit dumped on top of a crust with the edges folded over. And if said fruit happens to be the season’s freshest blackberries and peaches, even better!
There will be no fails here. Oh no. The galette is easy as, well, PIE. Actually, much, much easier. Blackberry Peach Galette. Share the love.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chilled, unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (approx) ice water
- 4 large peaches
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Zest of one lemon
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
- Cut butter in with two knives or pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly, like the size of peas.
- Add water and stir gently to incorporate with a fork. Form into a ball.
- Roll into a 13-14" circle on a floured pizza stone or cookie sheet. It's okay if the dough hangs over the edge.
- Peel, core and slice peaches. Wash blackberries.
- Toss peaches, blackberries, cornstarch, 2 Tbsp. sugar, salt and spices together in a bowl. Let sit for a few minutes and then drain excess liquid.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. sugar in bottom of crust. Add peach mixture to crust, leaving about 2" around perimeter.
- Fold edges over peaches, leaving middle open. Sprinkle peaches with lemon zest.
- Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Decrease temperature to 350 and bake another 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden and peaches are baked through.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.