This is Spring. Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, adorned with purple pansies straight from the garden? Say no more! I’m already in my happy place. Sunshine and flip flops and smoothie bowls in the backyard? Eeeek! Move over winter, we’re comin through in our swim suits and sunscreen.
So, turns out pansies are the kewl kids in the neighborhood. The word “pansy” has the unfortunate connotation of representing a weak, cowardly man. But guess what? It was 28 degrees last week, snowing and hailing and guess who’s still standing strong in the garden? The pansy.
And if we’re being honest here, the versatility of carrots is not so bad either. Carrots are known as the ultimate healthy food…a raw, edible root that can be kind of veggie-ish. But look what those carrots can become! A soft, sweet and deliciously delectable carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Hollah!
So what do pansies and carrots have in common? Besides looking dang cute and Springy?
They both defy assumptions. They shine where they’re not expected to shine. I love that.
Do you know someone who’s like this? Someone who’s expected to be a certain way, but proves that reputation wrong again and again? I enjoy being around those types of people because they’re full of surprises. They’re pansies in the snow, or carrots in a cupcake.
Take Kiwi and Carrot for example. A food blog for mostly healthy recipes made with fresh and natural ingredients. Healthy recipes, right? And here we are posting about Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Not really healthy at all. (Minus the carrots of course)
Because life is better as a wild card. Without the unexpected, we’d all just be carrots planted in the dirt.
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1.2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup crushed walnuts, optional
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1 1/2 lb. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins or place paper liners in tins.
- In stand mixer, combine sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Blend well on medium speed.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in carrots and walnuts, if using.
- Place in tins (about 1/3 cup batter in each).
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack. Frost when completely cool.
- Add all ingredients in a stand mixer and combine until smooth and creamy.
- Add extra powdered sugar as needed for a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Frost or pipe onto cupcakes once they are completely cooled.
*This does make a HUGE batch! It can be halved, if desired. These also freeze well, so make a big batch and freeze, frosted or not, for up to one month.