Earlier this week, my mom and I held a cooking demonstration for some of the ladies in her neighborhood. It was a fun time. We were flying back and forth, preparing One-Pan Roasted Salmon, Lemon Garlic Chicken and Veggies while explaining how to not blow up your house while using an Instant Pot. Like I said, a fun time. 🙂
We demonstrated how to make Kalua Pork in the instant pot, and promised you could make a million different recipes using it as a base. We mentioned pork tacos, asian wraps with carrot slaw and sesame ginger dressing, BBQ sliders…and now we have one more…
Kalua Pork Power Bowl!
The inspiration for this Kalua Pork Power Bowl came from one of my favorite “quick brunch” spots…Cafe Zupas.
I love that place, because it’s real. You watch them prepare your meal, so you know exactly what’s going in it. They use simple, fresh ingredients and the combinations are so yummy! Also, it’s quick and convenient when you’re out and about and starving…
Story of my life.
My go-to menu items have changed time to time, I used to always order their BBQ chicken salad. But lately, I’ve found a new favorite…
“Braised turkey wellness bowl.” All the flavors wrapped up in one delicious bowl. If you’re headed to Cafe Zupas anytime soon I’d recommend giving it a try.
This Kalua Pork Power Bowl is actually fairly different than Zupas wellness bowl, but there are some similar ingredients, and the heartiness and variety of flavors just reminds me of it.
So. Make yourself a BIG batch of Instant Pot Kalua Pork, and then use the leftovers all week. You’ll thank yourself come dinner time. 😉
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups leftover Instant Pot Kalua Pork
- 2 apples (we used gala)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (Trader Joes!)
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 2 small shallots
- Balsamic glaze (optional--also Trader Joes!)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash sweet potatoes and peel if desired. Chop into small cubes and cook by roasting in oven (400º for about 30 minutes) or steaming until fork-tender.
- Place greens in a large serving bowl or plate.
- Top with Kalua pork, thinly-sliced apples, goat cheese crumbles, pistachios, crasins and thinly sliced shallots.
- Drizzle dressing over the top and toss to combine.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, garlic cloves and honey in a mason jar and shake to combine.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil in, while stirring continuously. This will help emulsify so the oil won't separate from the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle over salad.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below letting us know how it turned out for you!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!