Let me introduce you to Ronnie. Ronnie is Sarah’s father-in-law. He was a professional boxer “back in the day” so he’s a tough-looking guy with a booming voice and a scraggly dark beard. That’s the outside. On the inside, Ronnie is a teddy bear. He has a heart of gold and would do anything for anybody. And he does.
He pretty much devoted half a year to helping Sarah and Patrick build their house. He and his beautiful wife, Lisa, host the most magical backyard barbecues all summer long and invite every neighbor, friend, relative and person off the street to come join. And on the 4th of July this year, Ronnie transformed into “The Bearded Lady” at the request of his grandkids, so they could be in the local parade as the cast of “The Greatest Showman.”
I could go on and on about the good that this guy does for the world. Ronnie is the best.
Ronnie also has an obsession…
Let’s put it this way: If you were to hand Ronnie a gift card for a five-course fancy dinner and one for a foot-long with all the works, I’m pretty sure he’d take the foot-long.
And so, Ronnie, this one’s for you. Grilled Reuben Dogs! Kiwi and Carrot’s attempt at a pretty healthy dog piled high with the works to make it one incredible Ronnie-approved happy summer, Reuben-sammie-inspired hot dog.
We use Teton Rivers Ranch hot dogs which are unreal delicious.
I mean, I don’t normally even eat hot dogs, but I have to say, I’ve become a believer. Go to their website to read their super-cool story of how these things got started. And then go grab yourself a package of dogs and get that grill going. (We buy ours at Costco!)
Grilled Reuben Dogs! This one’s for you, Ronnie.
- 4-6 hot dogs (We are OBSESSED with Teton Waters Ranch brand hot dogs)
- 4-6 buns
- 8-12 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/2 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup homemade mayo or store-bought mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. vinegar from cucumbers
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grill hot dogs over medium heat until cooked through. Grill buns if desired.
- Stack with cheese, pastrami, sauerkraut and cucumbers.
- Drizzle with fry sauce and serve hot!
- Shave cucumber and place in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar and enough water to cover cucumber.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside for 15 minutes or make hours ahead and keep in the fridge until using.
- Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in fridge, covered, until ready to use.
- Can be made a couple days ahead.
*Teton Waters Ranch hot dogs are 100% grass-fed beef raised without hormones or antibiotics. They taste incredible and are now available at Costco!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!