If for no other reason, you should make this chili just because of its name…chunky chicken chili. Can’t go wrong!
This soup is absolutely LOADED with yummy flavor. It’s got all you need.
The perfect amount of spiciness. ✔
Cilantro till your heart is content. ✔
It’s even better if you dip some corn bread or homemade wheat bread in it.
Warning: this soup is very hearty. Like eat one bowl of it and you are full for hours. Which is amazing in the dead of winter when you just want a warm tummy full of delicious soup. Turns out our dead of winter came in April. We live in Utah, which is known for world-famous snow. Yup…hardly got any snow all winter and then one day in April we woke up to Christmas outside. Classic spring in Utah. Those poor tulips, buried in 3 feet of snow…
That day called for chunky chicken chili, and this hearty soup from heaven was born.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Ground pepper
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 1 Tbsp. (or more to taste) chipotle peppers in adobo
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can white beans
- 2 ½ cups frozen or fresh corn
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over the stove and sauté the onion, celery and bell peppers until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, sugar and corn flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, chipotle peppers, beans, chicken and half of the corn.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the rest of the corn and add to the soup.
- Simmer on low for an hour.
- Garnish with cilantro, cheddar cheese and yogurt.