Valentine’s Day is tomorrow! The day of celebrating the ones you love.
So, I’m going to tell you about this amazing girl I know, that I love very much. Her name is EG. (Yes, like egg as in your breakfast scramble). Actually, her name is Elizabeth Grace, but we call her EG.
EG will be officially joining our family June 21, 2018, when she marries my youngest brother, Thomas. Yay for one more sister! But welcoming one more “Elizabeth Menlove” to our family is a little complicated because my mom’s name is Elizabeth Menlove. And my other sis-in-law’s name is Elisabeth Menlove, so we will now have a THIRD Elizabeth Menlove in the family. So confusing. Poor us.
But also not poor us because all of our Elizabeth’s are amazing.
But back to EG and Flourless Freezer Brownies…
I first met EG at my sister’s birthday dinner where she ordered a massive plate of BBQ meat and ate it all. That’s when I knew I was going to love her.
She is maybe the sweetest, kindest, and most energetic person you’ve ever met. She’s like a tiny pink bubble filled with multi-colored fireworks. Sassy, bubbly, happy, positive vibes.
That’s EG in a nutshell.
She’s also a very thoughtful human and is consistently serving other people. Thomas is a lucky man.
One night my husband Pat returned home from a trip to my parents with a little brownie in hand. It was a chocolate flourless brownie that EG had made and sent to me. IT. WAS. AMAZING.
I asked her for the recipe, made a couple of modifications based on what I had in my pantry, and wabaaaam. New FAVE treat.
Now let me give you a tip about these brownies.
No, i’m not talking about if you have extras that don’t get eaten you can freeze them and thaw them later. No. Pull them out of the oven, let them cool down, maybe take a couple of warm, ooey, gooey brownie bites, and then cut them into squares, pop them in a Ziploc bag and freeze the whole dang batch.
Then EAT THEM FROZEN. I know you think I’ve lost my mind. But actually, I just stumbled upon a fantastic little secret and I’m letting you in on it.
It turns out these brownies are like 10 times better eaten cold from the freezer. I’m not kidding. Trust me. Do it.
So yay for Flourless Freezer Brownies. And yay for Valentine’s Day, because it’s filled with chocolate and the people you love (who happen to all be named Elizabeth Menlove… 😉 )
- 12 oz. dark and/or semisweet chocolate (We use 6 oz. 70% dark and 6 oz semisweet)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp. collagen peptides, optional
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Place chocolate and oil in small bowl and microwave until melted, about 90 seconds. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with syrup, sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Add chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder and collagen (if using) and fold gently into mixture.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips and pecans, if desired.
- Spread into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until knife comes out mostly clean.
- *Optional step but highly recommended: Allow to cool completely, cut into squares and put them in a freezer-proof Ziploc bag. Place in freezer and allow to harden. Eat cold, straight from the freezer!
*You can also add a teaspoon of mint extract for mint brownies.
*This recipe was adapted from Bakerita…an incredible blog which we love and you should go check out!!
*Want to try another yummy flourless Chocolate treat? Try this Almond Joy Chocolate Torte!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the money. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!
Thank you! Yes, I’m going to hold onto the modified pattern for sure.