Some foods just work together. Like biscuits and gravy, peanut butter and jelly, waffles and syrup…
That’s how I feel about this recipe. It just works. Curry Lime Chicken with Coconut Brown Rice. BAM. Two peas in a pod.
Something about the curry and coconut combo is just on point. You have that creamy curry with a touch of zesty lime and when you mix it with coconutty rice? Result = mmmmmmm.
So this recipe is actually not a Kiwi and Carrot original. GASP. I found it on one of my favorite Instagram Accounts, CleanSimpleEats by Erika Peterson. I am obsessed with her account because she’s an advocate of eating clean, but still enjoying the good things in life (like carrot cake and orange rolls) but in a “healthified” way. Check out her account for some awesome, clean recipes and you’ll quickly learn that she is also a BEAST in the gym. (That’s a good thing 🙂 )
This meal comes together in under an hour, so it’s a great one to have on hand for those busy weekday nights. Make sure to throw the chicken in a Ziploc to marinate the morning of, because it’s SOOO much yummier when it’s been absorbing all those flavors for a few hours.
Also, to all you dorm-dwellers out there…the secret to getting that nice grilled char without a grill? Panini maker. I know…we’re breaking rules here. But, I have a confession…every time I’ve made this chicken, I’ve grilled it using my panini maker and it works like a charm. Although that’s not going to happen again until I buy a new one, because somehow I managed to melt the wires inside the panini maker. #Istruggle.
I guess we’re using hashtags on here now???
Anyhoo, a big thanks to @cleansimpleeats for this delicious recipe! Just like PB & J, this combo of Curry Lime Chicken with Coconut Brown Rice may become a staple in your house. 😉
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos (can sub soy-sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Lbs. chicken breasts, cut into thick strips (or chicken tenders)
- Cilantro and lime wedges for topping
- ½ cup chicken broth + more if needed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (use the rest of the can from marinade)
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Place chicken tenders in a large Ziploc bag and add the first ten ingredients. Tightly seal the Ziploc and massage the chicken until it is well covered in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cook the rice (see directions below)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. *If cooking on a Panini grill it will cook much faster (about 6-7 minutes total on my grill), so watch carefully.
- While grilling the chicken, pour the extra marinade in a small saucepan and add chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil and boil while stirring for 5-10 minutes. As the sauce thickens and reduces, you can add more chicken broth if needed.
- Serve chicken over rice. Top with warm sauce, lime juice and cilantro. Serve with your choice of grilled or roasted veggies on the side.
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and allow to cook until soft, about 45-50 minutes. Stir once in awhile. *You may have to add more liquid if the rice is still slightly crunchy and the water has been absorbed.