Some foods just work together. Like biscuits and gravy, peanut butter and jelly, waffles and syrup…
That’s how I feel about this recipe. It just works. Curry Lime Chicken with Coconut Brown Rice. BAM. Two peas in a pod.
Something about the curry and coconut combo is just on point. You have that creamy curry with a touch of zesty lime and when you mix it with coconutty rice? Result = mmmmmmm.
So this recipe is actually not a Kiwi and Carrot original. GASP. I found it on one of my favorite Instagram Accounts, CleanSimpleEats by Erika Peterson. I am obsessed with her account because she’s an advocate of eating clean, but still enjoying the good things in life (like carrot cake and orange rolls) but in a “healthified” way. Check out her account for some awesome, clean recipes and you’ll quickly learn that she is also a BEAST in the gym. (That’s a good thing 🙂 )
This meal comes together in under an hour, so it’s a great one to have on hand for those busy weekday nights. Make sure to throw the chicken in a Ziploc to marinate the morning of, because it’s SOOO much yummier when it’s been absorbing all those flavors for a few hours.
Also, to all you dorm-dwellers out there…the secret to getting that nice grilled char without a grill? Panini maker. I know…we’re breaking rules here. But, I have a confession…every time I’ve made this chicken, I’ve grilled it using my panini maker and it works like a charm. Although that’s not going to happen again until I buy a new one, because somehow I managed to melt the wires inside the panini maker. #Istruggle.
I guess we’re using hashtags on here now???
Anyhoo, a big thanks to @cleansimpleeats for this delicious recipe! Just like PB & J, this combo of Curry Lime Chicken with Coconut Brown Rice may become a staple in your house. 😉
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos (can sub soy-sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Lbs. chicken breasts, cut into thick strips (or chicken tenders)
- Cilantro and lime wedges for topping
- ½ cup chicken broth + more if needed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (use the rest of the can from marinade)
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Place chicken tenders in a large Ziploc bag and add the first ten ingredients. Tightly seal the Ziploc and massage the chicken until it is well covered in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cook the rice (see directions below)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. *If cooking on a Panini grill it will cook much faster (about 6-7 minutes total on my grill), so watch carefully.
- While grilling the chicken, pour the extra marinade in a small saucepan and add chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil and boil while stirring for 5-10 minutes. As the sauce thickens and reduces, you can add more chicken broth if needed.
- Serve chicken over rice. Top with warm sauce, lime juice and cilantro. Serve with your choice of grilled or roasted veggies on the side.
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and allow to cook until soft, about 45-50 minutes. Stir once in awhile. *You may have to add more liquid if the rice is still slightly crunchy and the water has been absorbed.
This curry lime chicken and coconut brown rice would make me feel I am eating at a fancy restaurant.
It does seem like a “fancy” meal, doesn’t it? Best part is, it’s super simple to make and a heck of a lot cheaper than eating out. Bonus points for chicken and rice!
This looks so yummy and professionally made haha I might have to try an instagram recipe
This looks like the best thing ever!! And the photography is just exquisite!
Nicole, thank you so much! Hope you love them as much as we do!
This looks so delicious ! Everything looks great. Thanks for sharing
Mindy, thank you! Really, anything with coconut and lime will be yummy, right?! Hope you love it:)
Oh my, these looks so mouth-watering and fancy! Must be really delicious, also those grill stripes, wow! Great recipe! – Love, Anna
Anna, thank you so much. Summer grilling is the best, don’t you think? Hope you like this one!
Gosh this looks so good! I can’t believe this was made in a home kitchen and not an expensive fancy restaurant!
Roxy, wow…what a nice compliment! Hope you love how it tastes, too. Have a very happy day!
Pinning this! This is definitely a meal that we would love in our house! Love all your recipes! Did you get a new logo?