Grilled Italian Sandwiches. What more can I say?
Those Italians are smart cookies. They’ve got that ice cream thing nailed, hands down. And the pizza. And art. And countryside. History? Got it. Cool cities? Yup.
A country full of geniuses.
Italians…stand up and applaud yourselves. But ya know what we Americans have figured out?
That’s right. What says ‘America’ more than a fabulous, juicy grilled burger? Sooo, I was inspired the other day, after eating a fabulous sandwich a friend had made. What if we combined the two? So I took those luscious flavors of Italy (fresh mozz, pesto, prosciutto, roasted peppers) and just grilled ’em up. Just like that. BAM.
The Italian Grilled Sandwich was born. Oh so yum!
Channel that creative genius and get your grill goin’ with any combo your little heart (and stomach) desires.
PB&J is pretty darn great on a grilled piece of…dare I say…white bread! Goat cheese, turkey and arugula on grilled raisin bread? How about a Reuben all grilled up and melty? Get creative with that grill!
Summer’s short and we gotta suck in every single moment, and that means grilling up anything in sight. I’ve never understood why summer’s about two weeks long and January lasts at least three months. Baffling. So stop wasting time and get out there. Go on a hike. Swim in a lake. Run barefoot in the grass. Grill something. At least once every day until that darn snow starts to fly.
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 6 Tbsp. pesto
- 3 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 6 slices prosciutto
- Balsamic reduction, optional *see notes
- Heat grill to medium.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" strips. Add garlic to oil and brush both sides of zucchini, saving leftover garlic oil.
- Grill zucchini 3-5 minutes per side. set aside.
- Cut bread into 12 slices. Lay out flat to assemble.
- Spread pesto over half the bread slices, and goat cheese on the other half.
- Add mozzarella, peppers and prosciutto on top of goat cheese slices, and cover with pesto slices. Drizzle with balsamic reduction, if using.
- Crush garlic and add to oil. Stir together. Brush outsides of bread with garlic oil.
- Grill over medium heat for about 3 minutes, each side.
- Serve immediately.
*No time to make a balsamic reduction? Get some here!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!