Chicken TINGA Tostadas! They’re worth making just so you can say the name. “Hey, kids, I’m making Chicken Tinga Tostadas for dinner!” Seriously, who wouldn’t smile when they hear that?
Tinga is basically a Mexican smoky tomato sauce that is used in place of enchilada sauce, taco sauce, etc. and it is seriously GOOD stuff. It’s basically sautéed onions, canned fire-roasted tomatoes and chipotles, along with a few spices thrown in for good measure. And since this one takes basically zero effort and is ready in mere minutes, your kids will be eating their zippy tostadas almost before they’re done saying “Tinga Tostadas!”
Hints to make this a sure-fire EASY plan: Grab some bulk roasted deli chicken meat at Costco and freeze it in dinner-size proportions. That way, you’ve got ready-made chicken just waiting for such a meal. Make sure you’ve got chipotles in adobo AND canned tomatoes on your pantry shelf and spices in your spice drawer. That’s it!
Chicken Tinga Tostadas on the table in 20 minutes. Dinner just became a fiesta!
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 2 15-oz.cans fire-roasted tomatoes or Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo, depending on desired heat level
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups shredded chicken (We like using roasted deli chicken)
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado slices, tomatoes, grated cheese or feta beans,, limes, cilantro (optional toppings)
- Heat oil in pan and sauté onion until soft.
- Add tomatoes, stock, chipotles and spices. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes; pour into blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour about half of sauce over chicken and stir to combine.
- Heat tortillas over medium until crispy. Use a little bit of oil if desired.
- Place chicken on tortillas and serve with other desired toppings. Pass extra sauce to be drizzled over tostadas.
Very good. I was using a much more complicated recipe but this was simple and delicious!
Thanks so much! We’re glad you liked it. We’re all about simplifying around here:)