SSSHHHHHH. This recipe is a BIG. FAT. SECRET. And, haha, it’s not really even a recipe. Nope. It’s three ingredients thrown together in about two minutes that BAM! became one of my very most requested recipes of all time. Best Breadsticks Ever.
I bring these to bridal showers, serve them at dinner, pull massive trays full of them out at parties, and people rave rave rave. Everyone wants the recipe. And so I smile and nod and tell them to call and I’ll gladly give them the recipe. Of course, they rarely call. People are busy. They forget. And so, my secret has been safe until now.
Puff pastry is one of the wonders of the culinary world. So easy. So yummy. All those flaky layers.
Of course, you could make your own, which would be mind-blowingly good, and then you’d have bragging rights for life. However, that would defeat the purpose of these 5-minute, delicious, flaky little gems. Grab the box of puffs from the grocery store freezer and feel confident that you are doing the right thing. In fact, grab a couple to keep for later. #addiction.
Let’s just chat for a quick moment about ingredients.
When you have a recipe that has, say, THREE of them, they gotta be GOOD. I mean quality. There should never be any mention whatsoever about pre-grated parmesan, low-fat mozzarella or, sin of all sins, margarine. Nope. Not in my kitchen.
We’re talking high-quality here. If you can afford it, grab the Irish butter. (Oh BABY! That’s good stuff.) Get a hunk of Pecorino or Parm from Costco and grate away. Think of it as upper-arm reps. Think how toned you will be! It’s all about quality, baby.
And secrets. Remember: SSSHHHHH. Best Breadsticks EVER. (Said in a very quiet whisper.)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (1/2 package)
- 3 Tbsp. salted or unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- Poppy seeds for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unfold pastry, lay on parchment and roll out to approx. 12x16" rectangle.
- Cut into 1/2-1" pieces using a pizza cutter.
- Twist each piece and lay close together on parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Melt butter and drizzle over pieces. Sprinkle grated cheese over each piece.
- Add poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
*To thaw pastry: Simply lay on counter for 45 minutes. Unfold to thaw quicker.
*These store well at room temperature for a day. Make them ahead of time and seal in ziplock bag until ready to use.
*These need to be very golden brown to remain crisp. If you take them out of the oven too soon, they will be limp. Keep them in the oven a few minutes longer, if needed.
P.S. Are you a puff pastry addict like us? If you are, give this Puff Pastry Veggie Pizza a try!