This is one of those I-don’t-have-time-to-cook-dinner kind of recipes. Everyone has them…those days that are just too crazy to even think about dinner until 6:00 when everyone’s starving. The next time you’re at the grocery store, grab some puff pastry sheets and stick them in your freezer. You’ll be all set to impress the fam with your amazing kitchen skills! Pull the pastry out of the freezer, sauté up a few veggies and by 6:30, you’ll have an impressive, fast, nutritious meal ready to eat!
This Puff Pastry Veggie Pizza is also super flexible. Don’t like eggplant? No zucchini in your fridge? Cut up a pepper, slap on some leftover chicken or steak, add a little broccoli or spinach…or ham and pineapple! Be creative. It’s an awesome recipe to use when you’ve got home-grown zucchinis and tomatoes coming out of your ears, but this one is a winner all year long. The deep, dark secret is the puff pastry. It’s an incredible product that’s soooo easy to use, but impresses with very little effort. The flaky crust is the perfect backdrop for fresh veggies and a strong, tangy cheese. Who knows? Maybe those little picky eaters will actually eat a veg or two!
- 2 sheets puff pastry (one full package)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 zucchini or yellow squash (about 1 cup)
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 cup)
- 4-5 cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups feta or goat cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take puff pastry out of freezer, allow to sit until softened but not fully thawed. Roll pastry out on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Cook pastry sheets for 8 minutes.
- Chop vegetables and basil.
- Saute onion, eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms in oil until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste, and garlic the last 30 seconds of cooking.
- Spoon vegetables on pastry. Scatter cheese over top of vegetables.
- Bake another 8-10 minutes, until pastry is browned.
- When finished baking, sprinkle fresh basil and tomatoes over tops. Serve immediately.