You know what happens when you’re on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and you’re starving? I’ll tell you what happens.
“Gas station food” definitely has a bad rep. And sometimes, for good reason. But I will say, Maverik has elevated my opinion of gas station food. The other day, Patrick and I were on a business trip in Arizona and literally our only option for dinner was the Mav. New-found guilty pleasure? Maverik’s freshly fried taquitos. Did I just admit that? Yup.
Of course it’s great to enjoy a greasy, fried taquito once in awhile. But it’s also great to make a delicious healthified version in your own kitchen! You know exactly what goes in them, and you don’t have the greasy fingers and fried-food gut that comes with store bought (or Maverik-bought 😉 ).
These Sweet Pork Taquitos are super simple to make thanks to our best friend Mr. Crockpot. Just throw some pork, spices and a few other ingredients in the slow cooker and 8 hours later you have beautifully tender, juicy, shredded pork to roll up in some tortillas. Then you just pop them in the oven and 20 minutes later you have a pan full of crispy Sweet Pork Taquitos waiting to be dipped in guac and salsa.
- 2-4 lbs. pork shoulder
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of a lime
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 can chicken broth
- ½ cup salsa (We love it with lime-flavored salsa but any will work)
- 24 corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Pico de Gallo
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Chop the garlic and rub all over the pork shoulder. Place the meat in a slow cooker.
- Mix together all spices and rub the seasonings onto the pork. (Don’t be shy, really rub it in!)
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, chicken broth and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When done, shred the meat in the crock-pot.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Working with 6 tortillas at a time, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Place one tortilla flat on the counter. Using tongs, take about 2-3 Tbsp. of meat and squeeze/shake any excess juice out. Spread the meat in a line down the center of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla into a taquito and place seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. (Work quickly so the tortillas don't become stiff. If they do, simply microwave them again in a wet paper towel).
- Repeat with the remaining 5 tortillas, then microwave another batch of 6 and repeat the process until all tortillas are gone.
- Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with a generous amount of kosher salt.
- Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the taquitos are golden brown and crispy. (Watch carefully so they don't burn!)
- Allow to cool and serve with crumbled queso fresco, salsa, guacamole, etc.
*These are also yummy if you put a spoonful of crumbled queso fresco in the taquitos with the pork.
*These freeze great! Put any leftovers in a large Ziploc bag and reheat when ready to eat!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!