OH, BABY! This weeks’ posts are Monumental. Epic. Stupendous. Cutting-edge. Sublime. Truthfully, they probably lean more towards the Silly and Ridiculous. But sometimes, out of the silly, great things happen…
Let me start at the beginning. A few weeks ago, Drew, my husband, concocted a scheme. Bring the whole family together for dinner. Not so original, right? However, this dinner would be different. Each male would bring a creative dish of their own for an epic potluck food fest. The rules?
1. Cook an original dish of your choosing.
2. There is absolutely no help from the women.
3. The whole family will taste the dishes and vote on their favorites.
Everyone loved the idea, and DUDES’ FOOD NIGHT was born.
I have to admit, the women were a bit ruthless. We mocked, teased, laughed, worried a bit about the outcome, but we stood by the rules. No help. And wow, was there a lot of discussion amongst the boys. They took this challenge seriously. They brainstormed and compared notes. They mixed, marinated, whipped, baked, broiled and grilled. And then, proudly, one by one, they presented their dishes. The table overflowed. Except for some jalapeños, not a vegetable or leafy green was in sight. Definitely no kiwis or carrots. It looked like, well…..DUDES’ FOOD!
And here’s the freaky part. It was ALL delicious! (Stay tuned…our next post will include photos of all of their creations)!
And so this week, we present you with the winning dishes, voted as the winners by all participants including the women “taste-testers.” No, these dishes aren’t remotely healthy. But we feel that we have to toast the DUDES who worked so hard and made us proud. Dudes’ Food Night was epic…and may have to become a family tradition.
The “winning” dish was made by Shaun. Dudes’ Food Jalapeño Poppers would be the perfect appetizer for say, a Super Bowl party. Jalapeños are not super spicy, especially if you remove the seeds, and truly, what’s more decadent than the combo of bacon and cream cheese?! Not competitive at all, Shaun actually named them “Better Than Kyle’s Cookies Jalapeño Poppers!” Ironically, Kyle’s cookies also won and will be featured in our next post. Maybe we need a cook-off between those two?
Long live the dudes and their foods!
- 10-12 jalapeños
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar + more for topping
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese
- 10-12 strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice jalapeños in half and scrape out seeds.
- Fill each half with softened cream cheese.
- Add a touch of brown sugar on cream cheese.
- Grate cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Cut bacon strips in half. Wrap each jalapeño with half pice of bacon.
- Top with extra brown sugar.
- Arrange on cookie sheet and bake 25-30 minutes, until peppers are roasted and bacon is cooked.