Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites remind me of weddings…
This has been an exciting week for my family, because my sister Katie got married! It was a beautiful wedding with the reception in my parent’s backyard. It was a fun reminder of my own reception, which was also held in my parent’s backyard. (And it was actually THIS week, three years ago…) Yup, my husband and I spent our 3rd-year anniversary sitting at my sister’s wedding dinner. But, no complaints, it was a fantastic dinner…mainly because it was held at an aquarium. 🙂 Cool.
So why do Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites remind me of weddings? I’ll tell you why. Three years ago when we were picking out the desserts we wanted to have at our wedding, my husband Patrick insisted that we have cookie dough. Not cookies. Cookie dough. Because let’s face it, everyone would rather eat a giant glob of cookie dough on a spoon than a boring old cookie. My mom was slightly concerned that all the guests would go home with salmonella poisoning if we let cookie dough sit out for hours at our reception, so she created a cookie dough recipe that doesn’t have eggs, and these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites were born.
They were such a hit that a year later, my brother had them at his wedding and then my sister continued the tradition. You just can’t go wrong! Everyone loves cookie dough. And the best part? These freeze beautifully, so you can make them in bulk and freeze them for your next big party (or so you can have endless happiness throughout the day when you need a little sweet treat 😉 )
What a cute couple my sis and her boy make.
And what a cute dessert these chocolate chip cookie dough bites make…
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- Mix all of the ingredients together with a standing mixer.
- Roll into small balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Make the chocolate drizzle and put in a piping bag or ziplock bag (with one corner snipped off).
- Drizzle the chocolate on top of the cookie dough bites and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Melt in the microwave until the chocolate and shortening are smooth, stirring occasionally. *Don't overheat or it will become clumpy!
*These double or triple easily and freeze great!