Two words: peanut sauce.
This sauce is all you need to make your peanut butter dreams come true. Truly, this sauce is the most versatile stuff. I’ve dipped spring rolls in it, drizzled it on salads, in pita bread sandwiches, on top of chicken breasts and now this…
Thick, chewy, creamy, veggie-filled Udon noodles. Because I mean, why not?
Do we all agree that stir-fries are the best “clean out the fridge” dinner to ever exist? Seriously, 20 minutes and you have a hot, delicious meal on the table. But, as great as they are, after eating the same stir-fry week after week, your taste buds are begging for new flavors. Enter Udon noodles.
The Asian isle did me good this week. These noodles are pre-cooked, which means minimal effort on your part. All you have to do is warm them up on the stove for about 5 minutes, throw everything else in with them, splash some peanut sauce on top and drool in anticipation while the peanut sauce thickens around the chewy noodles. Yummmmm.
This is the ultimate comfort meal and you get your veggies in at the same time. Feel free to put your own spin on this recipe—open your fridge and throw your leftover veggies in the pan with those chewy noodles. Believe me, even your least favorite vegetables will taste divine if they’re doused in peanut sauce. Three cheers for tricking your taste buds into loving broccoli and carrots!
In my case, when I made these noodles, I was introducing spiralized zucchini to a bunch of picky eaters…a.k.a. a 3-year-old, 7-year-old and 10-year-old. Eating zucchini scares them, but it turns out kids love helping out with the spiralizer. And once the zucchini was thrown in with everything else, it just blended in with the Udon noodles. Once again, tricking the taste buds=the perfect way to pack your dinner with healthy veggies and not even know it.
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 package Udon noodles (found in the Asian section in most grocery stores.) *Note: Try to find the pre-cooked kind for quick and easy preparation
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow or orange), chopped
- ½ cup edamame
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized or chopped
- Homemade peanut sauce *See recipe below
- Cilantro for garnish
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- Make the peanut sauce: mix all the ingredients in a blender and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the sesame oil and add the Udon noodles. Cook on low heat until the noodles are warm and separated.
- Add the shredded carrots, bell pepper, edamame and spiralized zucchini and heat until the zucchini is soft.
- Mix in the peanut sauce and heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and crushed peanuts and serve immediately.
***This post contains affiliate links. But only because we LOVE spiralizers and fully support this product!***