For when you need something just a little bit different.
When our kids were little, we went to Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico… That was definitely something just a little bit different! Never saw myself going to scout camp. Philmont has been around since 1939 as a national scout camp and training center, and is located near the town of Cimarron in a beautiful mountain valley. Drew was involved in scouts at the time, so he had meetings to attend all week, and our kids were off hiking, rock climbing, shooting, panning for gold and other such adventuring. I found myself strangely without anything I had to do from breakfast until dinner each day. Hmmmm. Weird but totally amazing feeling for a mom of four little kids!
Our week at Philmont coincided with the recent release of one of the Harry Potter books. (That tells you how long ago this was!) Now, those who know our family might say we have a very slight obsession with HP. Okay, not a slight obsession…we’re total nerds when it comes to Harry Potter. And Philmont had the most perfect spot for reading! Huge trees, an enormous lawn and plenty of space to sprawl out in the shade and read to my heart’s content. The hardest part was keeping myself from reading straight through the entire book the first day. AHHHHH! I LOVE scout camp.
I also LOVE this flatbread! All of its Southwestern flavors bring me back to those days of Harry-Potter reading at Scout Camp in the Southwest.
Of course, you can just buy some bread, but if you decide to make this freakishly easy recipe, make sure to eat one straight out of the pan, slathered with melty salted butter. YUM.
THEN call the fam to dinner, southwestern style.
- 6-8 pieces of Flatbread
- 60-Second Salsa
- 6-8 chicken tenderloins
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- Zest and juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make flatbread and salsa (can be done a day ahead) or have store-bought ready to go.
- Brush chicken with EVOO and salt and pepper. *We LIBERALLY pepper the chicken to give it amazing flavor and heat.
- Grill or cook chicken until tender. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Drain and rinse beans, chop pepper and avocado.
- Spread Chipotle Cream on flatbread and add all ingredients on top.
- Put yogurt in a small bowl.
- Mash chipotle to a thick paste. Add to yogurt.
- Add lime, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
*If desired, sauté peppers before using.