Introducing our Southwestern Chicken Bowl. Not sure exactly where it came from, but it’s definitely here to stay.
I love trying different types of food from around the world. Mexican, Thai, Indian, Mediterranean…
But one of my latest favorites is Southwestern.
I started to notice a theme of my eyes gravitating to the “Southwestern” options on the menu. Southwestern chicken, Southwestern salad, Southwestern tacos… I was finding that I really loved the flavors that encompass Southwestern cuisine.
But then I had a realization…
I had no idea what or where “Southwestern” food represented. What “Southwestern” are we talking about? So I did a little research, and found The Kitchns definition, which I really liked:
“Take a good helping of South American and Mexican cuisines and add in a splash of old-world Spanish ingredients. Blend with a healthy dose of Native American fare and sprinkle on some frontier trail food. Now give it all a good stir, and that’s the Southwest.”
So basically, no one really knows. 😉
But regardless of where it originated, Southwestern food can be summed up by this Southwestern Chicken Bowl. Black beans, cherry tomatoes, fresh corn, jicama…all generously doused in a creamy lime avocado sauce.
Yup, sign me up please.
- 1 1/2-2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice or quinoa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 cup sliced jicama
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- Raw corn cut from one ear
- 1 small avocado (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (packed) cup cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Thoroughly drain chicken. Toss with evoo in a mixing bowl.
- Add garlic salt and pepper. Stir to coat chicken.
- Grill chicken over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- *If you want your peppers grilled, put them on with the chicken and grill until tender.
- Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Put rice in bowl and add all other ingredients on top. Drizzle with sauce.