Mangos, you guys. What’s up with them? Like how are mangoes so dang delicious?
Have I ever tried a recipe that includes mangoes and not fallen in a deep, profound love with it? I honestly can’t think of a time. I’m head over heels for the mangoes, every time.
When I spent two months in Southeast Asia with my husband, brother and sis-in-law we made a beautiful but risky discovery. It was called mango smoothies. Literally one a day. At least. They tell you not to drink the water over there, but those perfectly ripe Filipino mangoes mixed with sweetened condensed milk and ice? (Ice is a rarity you don’t often get over there). Sign me up! Typhoid or not, we wanted those MANGOES. (Which, FYI, none of us ever got sick over there. #eatallthemangoes)
So, naturally, we HAD to introduce the mangoes to the meatballs. Because mangoes play well with everyone. Mix up some fresh cilantro, jalapeño peppers, ground chicken and mangoes and you have a glorious creation…Mango Jalapeño Meatballs.
And let’s not forget the sauce. Creamy, coconutty, with just the right jalapeño spiciness? Yes please, feel free to DUMP that on thick. And then dip that bad boy in some fig jam and pop it in my watering mouth. And if you really want to do things right, serve them with some Lemon Turmeric Rice, because we’re on a tropical all-the-colors-of-the-sunshine kick.
Mango Jalapeño Meatballs may just be our new fave.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2" square piece ginger
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (use the thickened part off the top of the can)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fig jam or chutney (optional) for dipping
- Place ground chicken in large bowl.
- Chop cilantro and dice jalapeño and green onions and add to chicken.
- Add coriander, paprika, zest, salt and pepper. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Finely chop mango and add to mixture.
- Form into 1 1/2" balls.
- Melt coconut or olive oil in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, turning frequently to brown meatballs on all sides. This should take around 7-10 minutes.
- Seed and core jalapeno. Peel ginger.
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Place in saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Spoon over cooked meatballs.
- Serve over rice or with jam or chutney.