Sometimes you just need soup. Creamy, full-of-flavah, little-effort-to-make soup. Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup.
The other day I was at Sprouts, and noticed their pre-cubed butternut squash was on sale. It was in my cart within one second. Because, peeling, seeding and cubing? Nobody got time fo’ that. Actually, it’s really not that bad and I don’t really mind veggie preppin’ but when I do see the pre-cubed stuff on sale, I get pretty excited.
So. Why soup? The weather is just starting to show hints of Spring. Sunny one day, snowy the next. But it seems that the cold and flu season has reared its ugly head again. Everyone is sick right now, me included. That’s where this soup comes in. Not only is it warm, creamy and comforting on a sore throat, but it’s packed with nutrient-dense fruits and veggies, and it has a secret weapon. Yup, you heard me right.
And the secret weapon is…drumroll please…
You’ve heard of it right? Maybe you’re a long-time believer, or maybe you’ve squirmed and squealed at the idea of eating bone broth. But, you guys, it is AMAZING. Trust me.
Bone broth is incredible for your joints, digestion, skin and detoxification process. It helps to heal your gut and reduce oxidative stress. Plus, it tastes amazing in this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup. 😉
I’ve made my own bone broth before, but it can be a pain. Sometimes, you just need to take a short cut or two to simplify your life.
Kettle & Fire is my go-to shortcut when it comes to bone broth. I’ve ordered broth from them multiple times, and love it. It’s fresh and never frozen, made from all-organic chicken bones and slow-simmered for hours to produce a higher protein content in their broth. They flavor it completely naturally with veggies and spices, and it contains high amounts of collagen and gelatin (the good stuff for your gut!)
Honestly, you just can’t go wrong with this stuff.
I’ve teamed up with Kettle & Fire to get you 10% off a one-time purchase! (Limit of one per customer). Head to their site and use coupon code KIWI10. I promise you guys won’t be disappointed!
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 cups cubed)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 gala apples
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. dried ginger
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (depending on heat/spice preference)
- 2 cups Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: pepita seeds, dash of paprika
- Prepare the veggies and fruit: Dice the onion. Peel butternut squash, cut in half, scoop out seeds and chop into small cubes. (Can also use pre-cubed squash to cut out this step!) Roughly chop sweet potato and apples.
- Turn instant pot to "saute" and add avocado oil. Once it's hot, sauté onions for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add squash and sweet potatoes and heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rest of ingredients except for coconut milk and salt and pepper.
- Turn off instant pot, turn back on and set to manual for 10 minutes. Make sure the valve is turned to "sealing."
- Let it cook until it beeps. Let it release the steam naturally for 5 minutes, and then turn it to "venting" to let the rest of the steam release. Once all the steam has released, carefully remove the lid.
- Use and emulsion blender or transfer in batches to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add back into the instant pot, stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with pepita seeds and a dash of paprika if desired and enjoy!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!