Let me guess…most of you are totally turned off by the term “grain free.” You’ve tried grain-free bread before and decided you actually don’t like eating cardboard. I get it. But we have a little secret. And it comes in the form of Grain-Free Everything Bagels that are possibly a gift sent from heaven.
Not even kidding.
I found out a month ago that I have parasites. YUCK. So I’ve been following a strict Paleo diet to reduce inflammation and heal my gut as I get rid of those nasty little buggers. As a foodie enthusiast, this hasn’t been the easiest thing to do…until I found Grain-Free Everything Bagels.
I can’t take credit for the brilliant invention of this recipe…I found it floating around the interwebs on multiple blogs and websites, so I’m not sure who the original creator was, but if you’re out there, YOU SAVED MY LIFE. Can we please go to lunch together and become bestie friends forever? Maybe we can involve friendship bracelets and locket necklaces with a photo of these bagels inside? Ok thanks.
But really you guys, these are absolutely amazing.
We have certain members of our family who are very anti grain-free anything. They love the gluten and the sugar and the grains of all kinds. They strongly dislike anything with the word “Paleo” in it…
My husband may or may not be one of these people… 😉
But the first time I made these Grain-Free Everything Bagels, he took a bite and instantly fell in love. I’ve made these countless times since, and every time he asks me to make extra so he can eat some. If you know sugar-cereal-and-white-bread-loving Patrick, you understand how big a deal this is.
I’ve dipped these bagels in Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup, topped them with scrambled eggs and turkey bacon, made them into open-faced turkey and avo sandwiches and even eaten them cold from the fridge.
THEY ARE THE BOMB.
They’re not as “carby” as your usual bagel. They’re higher in fat because they’re made with almond flour, so they have a rich, almost dessert-like taste and dense texture. Mmmmmm I can’t even. They are sooo good. As soon as I’ve eaten through a batch, I instantly start craving them again.
I use Trader Joe’s “Everything But the Bagel” seasoning, which is just incredible. But you can always make your own “everything seasoning” using the recipe below.
The process to make these can be a bit daunting when you first mix up the dough. It may seem too soft and sticky to become bagels. But trust me…it works. Just follow the directions carefully and don’t feel discouraged if your first batch looks a little wonky. It gets easier with practice! And Paleo or not, you’ll have plenty of practice, cause once you try these, you’ll be making many batches of them. 😉
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 ½ tsp. dried garlic flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients (except egg yolk) in a large bowl and mix by hand until smooth.
- Mix spice blend together if not using Trader Joe's blend.
- Add 2 tsp. of spice blend to the dough and gently fold into dough until incorporated.
- Fill a large pot half full of water and bring to a boil. Once the water has come to a boil, reduce the heat slightly to keep water at a gentle boil.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Wet hands and form each portion into a ball. Flatten the ball just slightly and press your index finger in the middle of the ball and move in a small circle, creating a hole in the middle of the bagel. Repeat with each bagel.
- Carefully drop 2 bagels in the boiling water and wait until they float to the top. Gently remove with a slotted spoon and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all bagels have been boiled.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove bagels from oven and brush with beaten egg yolk. Top each bagel with Everything Spice Blend. *It's helpful to do this one bagel at a time...sprinkle the spice blend on right after brushing the bagel with egg yolk so the spices stick.
- Return bagels to the oven and cook for 20-25 more minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before serving. This allows the center to firm up a bit.
*We just use Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel spice blend.