“You are invited to the Beginning and Ending of a Wonderful Meal.”
That was the invite to my favorite party we ever threw for our friends. Appetizers and desserts…the best part of any meal, in my opinion. If I had my way, when we go out to eat, I would order ten appetizers for dinner and just taste-test all the little plates in front of me. Perhaps it has something to do with my lack of decision-making ability? Hmmm.
This Crudité Platter is the perfect spread for an appetizer and dessert party…or for any event where you’d like to give people lots of options and make a huge visual statement….all with very minimal effort and basically no necessary cooking abilities whatsoever.
In other words, THE PERFECT dish for any holiday party! Two dips…Buttermilk Herb Dip and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto…are all you need to make veggies and guests extremely happy and snacking all night long.
Gone are the days of carrot and celery sticks stiffly lined up around a cereal bowl filled with store-bought ranch dressing.
This is the time to let your inner artist soar! Be bold with yellow beets, purple carrots, blue potatoes, white asparagus, giant radishes, teardrop-sized peppers, dandelion greens, turnips.
Grab a pretty board or tray and start creating. Think of it as a food canvas. Eye candy. Art on a plate. Even your kids might stroll over to the veggies when they see all the cool colors, shapes and designs. Teach them the word “crudite.” It’s fun to say and maybe they won’t even think about the word “vegetable” as they smother their purple carrot with herb dip.
Crudité Platter. Art and food. So classy. So yummy. So festive.
- Favorite fresh vegetables: carrots, beets, tomatoes, potatoes, snap peas, olives, peppers, etc.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (just use your favorites: basil, thyme, parsley, mint, rosemary, etc.)
- 3 green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Several drops hot sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- Pepper to taste
- Cut, chop, blanch veggies, as needed, and place on board.
- Add dips and spreads and serve!
- Finely chop herbs. Mix all ingredients together and serve.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and mix until well-incorporated.
*Make the dips a day or two ahead of time. The flavors will increase, and you won't be scrambling at the last minute!
*Add nuts, crackers, tortilla chips, etc. Be creative!