Hello Chunky Monkey Popsicles!
These delicious frozen treats were inspired by a VERY expensive resort bill…
We took this awesome trip back when our kids were in those joyous, awkward jr. high school years. We saved up a load of points to trade in for a fab trip to Costa Rica, and boy, was it an adventure.
We ziplined 100 feet above the tops of the very tall rainforest canopy, traipsed around the jungle looking for dinner-plate-sized spiders, watched massive red-hot boulders shoot out of a volcano, got spooked by howler monkeys and watched a very brave or possibly very stupid dude feed whole chickens to crocodiles in their native habitat. It was all very Indiana Jones.
We spent the last few days on the beach, Drew and I lazying around, dreaming up excuses to stay for a month. Our kids, on the other hand, found the pool swim-up bar and were introduced to the Chunky Monkey milkshake: chocolate ice cream, peanut butter swirls, coconut and chocolate sauce drizzled down the side…heaven in a glass, all for a mere eight bucks. And then the bartender did something I might never forgive…
He innocently asked our kids, “Do you want to charge this to your room?” Best discovery in the universe. Oh the possibilities. In three days, while we lay basking blissfully unaware just a few feet away, our kids racked up $400 worth of bananas, chocolate and coconut.
Chunky Monkey Popsicles are a tribute to that blissful, albeit very expensive, pool time. Those yummy monkey-ish flavors, remade with mostly healthier stuff at a much more reasonable price tag, and frozen on a stick! All the summery joy a kid or a grown-up or a monkey could ever ask for!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 scoop your favorite collagen peptides
- 1 banana
- Popsicle mold (6 count)
- 1/2 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- Combine coconut milk, cocoa powder, honey, peanut butter and collagen peptides in a powerful blender and mix until incorporated.
- Chop banana into small slices.
- Place banana pieces in popsicle molds and press firmly to keep in place.
- Carefully pour coconut milk mixture into molds, filling almost to the tops. Place in freezer for one to two hours, or until frozen.
- Combine chocolate chips and oil in microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir to help chocolate melt completely and cool slightly.
- Working quickly, dip ends of popsicles in chocolate and then top with crushed peanuts. ***See notes.
*Active prep time is 5 minutes! The rest is just waiting for popsicles to freeze.
**If using regular popsicle sticks (not the ones that often come with popsicle molds), freeze the popsicles until they are fairly solid before inserting sticks. This will take 30-60 minutes.
***If popsicles begin to melt at all, the chocolate won't set on the popsicle, so work with one at a time and leave the others in the freezer if that's easier.
I have been obsessing over pop sicles in this crazy hot weather! I cannot wait to try these!
-Emily @ http://www.livingfitwithemily.com
Emily, nothing like a popsicle on a hot day! Let us know how you like these. Happy summer!
I love chocolate and banana combo!
Melanie, I totally agree! Choc-banana is the best:)