I remember when my mom first made this sweet potato dish for my family. It was a few years ago, right around Thanksgiving time. I’ll admit at that point, I wasn’t a huge fan of sweet potatoes. (Crazy?) This dish changed that forever…
Think creamy, cheesy, buttery, crunchy…literally heaven in your mouth. I decided right then and there I would start liking sweet potatoes. And what do you know? Now they pop up on my grocery list almost weekly…
Sweet potatoes are named one of “the world’s healthiest foods,” and for good reason! They are rich in vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body. They have a sweet taste, but their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, which gives you that balanced and long-lasting source of energy. They are filling, nutritious and so versatile.
If you can’t tell, we love our sweet potatoes…
This dish is even better because it only takes THREE ingredients to make! (Spices don’t count, people.) It’s so incredibly easy to throw together. You just pop it in the oven and voila! An impressively delicious and savory side dish for your feast.
- 3-4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 lbs. (about 4) sweet potatoes
- 2 cups Pecorino cheese, grated
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. melted butter in a round cake pan or porcelain dish and brush around until pan is coated.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into thin circles.
- Place a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the pan and cover with some grated cheese, drizzled butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Repeat the layering process until all the ingredients are used up.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then take off the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
*Make sure to use a very hard and dry cheese. We recommend Pecorino. Parmesan is an acceptable alternative.
*We also want to let you know that we are now on Yummly! Yummly is an awesome app where you can find, share and store all of your favorite recipes. We’d love for you to follow us on Yummly and share some of your favorite recipes! You can find us here!