My husband Patrick and I recently went on a business trip (said in a hoity-toity voice) to Colorado. I’m 23…you’d think by now taking a business trip would be NBD. (Translation= no big deal.) But business trips are such an adultish thing to do. They’re so sophisticated. At least it seems that way until you’re stuck at the back of the plane jammed between a snoozer and a chatter box. Why do we play “grown ups” when we’re young? Once you actually grow up, you realize it’s all slightly overrated. But, with that said, if we hadn’t gone on our so-called business trip, I wouldn’t have been inspired to make this Thai Coconut Salad with Peanut Sauce…and that would’ve been a sad, sad thing.
Patrick and I were distracted on our phones, or whatever grown up people do while waiting at the airport, and all of a sudden we were boarding in 2 minutes and we hadn’t gotten anything for dinner. So, we turned to the nearest restaurant, tried not to look at the ridiculously-expensive airport prices, and ordered something to go. I read the words “Thai Coconut…” on the menu and was immediately sold.
So, my glamorous flight home from my very adultish business trip consisted of me trying not to chomp on my salad too loud while the guy next to me (who looked suspiciously like Santa Claus)…had a conversation about the Easter Bunny with a 4-year-old sitting in the row ahead of us.
Guys, we’re all kids at heart.
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes, spiralized (*see notes)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 jar roasted red peppers (you can also roast them yourself)
- 1 1/2 cups grilled and shredded chicken (I seasoned mine with paprika, salt and pepper)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut for topping
- ¼ cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water + more if needed
- 1 tsp. garlic (about 2-3 garlic cloves)
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. honey
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and add the spiralized sweet potato. Allow to cook until soft, season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside to cool.
- Peel the cucumber and chop into bite-sized pieces. Slice the red peppers into small strips.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, vegetables and grilled chicken. Top with peanut sauce and sprinkle with coconut shreds.
- In a medium-sized skillet, combine all ingredients and cook until mixed and thickened. Add additional water if needed. (*See notes).
- Serve warm over assembled salad.
*If you don't own a spiralizer, you can buy a cheap one here. Or, you can just grate the sweet potatoes (skin and all!) using a cheese grater.
*If the peanut sauce sits for too long and cools, it will begin to separate and harden. Simply warm it back up and stir in a little bit of water to thin it out again.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!