Today we’re getting creative…fresh cod and pancake batter…say what? That’s right. We’re collaborating with Kodiak Cakes, one of our favorite local Utah companies. Kodiak Cakes is located in Park City, the charming old mining town turned upscale ski resort…the perfect place to load up on protein-packed, whole grain Kodiak Cake pancakes before a day on the slopes.
But what about dinner? If you’re a skier, you know that “I’ve burned all my breakfast and lunch calories and then some” kind of feeling at the end of the ski day. You’re starving and need something quick and delicious that won’t ruin the awesome workout you’ve just been through on the slopes. Why not combine a protein- and fiber-packed breakfast food with dinner? That’s how our Kodiak Cakes Fish Taco recipe was born.
We use a fresh white fish, like cod or mahi mahi, very lightly breaded with Kodiak Cakes pancake batter, and kicked up a notch with Cajun spices and lime. A quick few minutes in some coconut oil on the stove, and you’ve created a yummy, light dinner that will fill you up but won’t weigh you down. Turn on a little Jimmy Buffett, squeeze some lime on that taco, and pretty soon, you’ll be dreaming about your next vacation to…hmmmm…say, the Caribbean?
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups Kodiak Cakes mix, divided
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 ½-2 tsp. Cajun spice blend (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 4 fillets of white fish (cod or mahi mahi)
- 2 heaping Tbsp. coconut oil (plus more as needed)
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 10-12 small corn tortillas
- Guacamole or fresh avocado
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Lime Juice
- In a large bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Kodiak Cakes mix, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Cajun Spice Blend. Mix together and set aside.
- Combine the cabbage, vinegar, water and sugar in a separate bowl and mix. Set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 cup Kodiak Cakes into a large wide-mouthed bowl.
- In another large bowl, crack 2 eggs and add ¼ cup water. Mix well.
- Cut fish fillets into long slices.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working with one fish slice at a time; roll in Kodiak Cakes mix, then immerse in egg. Finally, dip in the panko/spice mixture, making sure to cover completely.
- Place in the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes each side, until the fish is cooked through. (These cook fast, so watch carefully!)
- Repeat with remaining fish slices, adding more coconut oil to the pan if necessary.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or over the stove. Place the cabbage slaw, fish and toppings on the tortillas.
- Enjoy immediately!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!