Last spring my sister, sis-in-law, aunt, mom and I took a girls trip to San Francisco.
I’ll tell you what we did for four days: eat, eat and eat. If you haven’t noticed, we love food in our family–actually, love might be an understatement, so it was convenient that we ended up in the food capitol of the U.S. for our little getaway.
One afternoon we found ourselves at the Legion of Honor Museum. After wandering through the art displays we got some lunch in the museum’s basement cafe. It was a memorable moment of the trip–we sat out on the patio enjoying the breezy afternoon and smelling the sea salt coming from the nearby ocean.
OK you’re wondering at this point how any of this has to do with kale salad? Let me explain…the salad I ordered from the cafe that day was incredible, and became the inspiration for this recipe I’m sharing with you today. It’s a tasty combo of crunchy nuts, sweet berries and creamy blue cheese chunks, drizzled with a nutty walnut dressing.
Let’s talk about the dressing for a minute. Up until now, I’d never used walnut oil before. In fact, I really didn’t know that it was a thing. Well guess what? It’s a thing, and a delicious thing. The oil has a rich, nutty taste and can be used in salad dressings or as a replacement for your typical oil when sautéing veggies or marinating meats. I highly recommend La Tourangelle’s Roasted Walnut Oil. It’s a high-quality oil that’s affordable and tastes amazing.
This is a fun recipe for this time of year. Fall is quickly approaching, and this salad combines fresh berries of summer with the nutty flavors of autumn. Don’t wait too long to make this one, because those cute berries are on their way out!
Happy kale everyone!
- 6-8 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 large beets
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- Blue cheese crumbles (desired amount)
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey mustard
- 1 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, honey mustard, yogurt and salt in a jar or dressing bottle and shake until mixed.
- Add kale to a large bowl and pour in desired amount of dressing. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale until leaves are saturated. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa, strawberries, blueberries, beets, pumpkin seeds, pistachios and craisins to the kale bowl. Toss with more salad dressing if needed and sprinkle with blue cheese.
*Some people dislike the strong taste of blue cheese. If you are one of these people, shaved Parmesan or Feta cheese are great substitutes!
***This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!