Breakfast time! Chocolate Chip Banana Walnut Waffles…droooool.
Who here has seen the TV show Parks and Recreation? If you have, you instantly know why I’m bringing up the show on a post about waffles. If you haven’t seen it, I’m giving you a homework assignment: go watch the first 3 seasons by Monday. It’s doable, I promise. 😉 I also promise you will be LOL-ing on the ground, because it’s just that funny. I’m embarrassed I just used that acronym.
The main character in the show is a lady named Leslie Knope, and she has a relentless obsession with WAFFLES. I can understand where she’s coming from. If you think about it, waffles are the most satisfying breakfast food of them all, because you can fill each individual square up with syrup, and it’s like you’ve created a little spa of syrupy hot tubs.
If you’re wondering, yes, I really did do that as an eight-year-old, while I was dishing up my food at a buffet. There was an entire line of people waiting behind me, and I stood there drizzling syrup into each individual hole of my waffle. Taking ten years to get one waffle. Because…syrup hot tubs, am I right?
While on the subject of waffles, we might as well get to the point about today’s featured waffle: Chocolate Chip Banana Walnut Waffles (gasp). Might I be so bold to say that I think even Leslie Knope would approve of these waffles? And why do they deserve the approval of that waffle connoisseur? For a few simple reasons:
1) They are bursting with melty chocolate bites.
2) They have an added crunch of walnutty goodness mixed with the sweet taste of bananas.
3) They are waffles.
So there you have it. Leslie Knope-approved Chocolate Chip Banana Walnut Waffles. So go enjoy one (or two)! The weekend is here and life is too short to eat veggies and egg whites on Saturday mornings. 😉
- 1 cup white flour (can sub whole wheat flour if desired)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup mashed *overripe bananas (3-4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix and then add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, gently mash bananas with a fork or potato masher. Fold bananas into batter along with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Spray the waffle iron and pour about 3/4 cup batter onto middle of iron. Close the iron and cook until firm. Remove and repeat with rest of batter until gone.
- Top with pure maple syrup and enjoy warm!
*The more overripe the bananas, the better!
Ohhhhhh I’m just drooling at the site of these delicious waffles! Banana pancakes are good, but banana waffles are where it’s at! Plus, chocolate chips and walnuts make it that much better!
Right? Waffles ALL THE WAY! And you can never go wrong with chocolate chips and walnuts. Glad you approve 🙂