Do you have a favorite family vacation spot? Is it somewhere you go every single year with your whole extended family? Or maybe you stumbled upon a wonderful hidden gem and are still planning your return. Wherever it is, I bet there are some foods that you connect with that wonderful place! Maybe it’s a restaurant you went to or a meal you cooked and ate together. Eat that food again and all the memories of that fun vacay come flooding back. Am I right? Well, Chicken Couscous Caesar Salad is one of those recipes for me. For the past fourteen years, we’ve headed to Lake Powell with some close family friends for a week of waterskiing, wake boarding, swimming, star gazing, games and some of the best memories EVER. Our kids live and breathe this trip, and they start planning the next year’s adventures before we’ve even pulled off the lake.
To say that food is an important part of these trips would be a gross understatement. We are a bit fanatical about what we eat at Lake Powell. Really, let’s just call it as we see it. We’re freaks. Food Freaks. Most people eat pb&j, burgers and dogs on the grill, cereal for breakfast…you know, simple, easy-to-prepare foods. Not us. Nope. We literally prepare for weeks in advance, making homemade ice cream, layer cakes, slow-roasted pulled pork, breakfast breads (in about 10 different varieties), special sauces, marinades and dressings. Once there, we pull out ALL the stops. We’re talking lamb kabobs, shrimp and lobster boils, mahi-mahi tacos, Brazilian steaks with chimichurri, homemade focaccia, profiteroles, ice cream pie, peach melba. Honestly…it’s a bit ridiculous! But delicious and dreamy, and we wouldn’t have it any other way! Yep, food freaks.
Chicken Couscous Caesar Salad is a Lake Powell lunch staple! And happily, it’s super easy to prepare, and kids and adults alike love it. It can be served on its own or in a pita. Super easy. Super delicious. Probably even something normal people (not just food freaks) could add to their repertoire. So go enjoy your family faves…beach, mountain, city escape…and maybe add some couscous and grated parmesan to your grocery list! Happy summer!
- One rotisserie chicken
- One 6-oz. box couscous, any flavor
- Two heads romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Zest of three lemons
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of three lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. mayo
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook couscous according to package directions and cool. Place in fridge to cool, if needed.
- Wash and dry romaine, and chop.
- Wash and halve tomatoes.
- Grate cheese and zest lemons.
- Add all ingredients to blender and mix to incorporate.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Toss all salad ingredients together and add dressing just before serving. Toss well.
*For simpler prep, use your favorite store-bought Caesar dressing. All ingredients can be prepared ahead of time. Toss together just before serving.