Sooo…if you don’t know much about my mom Elizabeth, I’d recommend heading on over here to read about her. She’s a gem. Really, she is. But today I’m going to reveal a little secret about her…I’m sure you’re holding your breath now. 😉
She hates chicken.
Say, what??? She’s not a vegetarian, vegan or anything like that. She enjoys eating pork, beef, lamb, etc. She just doesn’t dig chicken. Something about getting sick on it while pregnant? So I guess it’s my fault (or one of my sibling’s fault) that she doesn’t fully appreciate this oh-so-versatile protein. Sorry mom.
Me on the other hand…I love chicken.
- It’s cheap. I’m a budget shopper.
- It’s incredibly adaptable. You can make 5 million+ recipes with a good ol’ boneless, skinless, chicken breast. [BSCB]
- It packs a punch of protein.
So today, I’m going to show you one way to dress up your BSCBs in this One Skillet Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms. The greatest thing about this dish is probably the fact that it only requires ONE skillet. I used my brand new Lodge cast iron skillet, which is extremely affordable (back to the budget shopper thing), but has really good reviews and so far, I LOVE it! Ok, tangent there, I’m just so excited about it. Now, back to the good stuff.
This dish is made with very few ingredients, but it has a flavor like wow. That’s probably thanks to the white wine, so please don’t try to make this chicken without it. You’ll be sad, and I will be too. The creaminess comes from the coconut milk, so this recipe is 100% Paleo! The garlicky mushrooms just finish it off, and before you know it, you have a steaming dinner on the table.
So next time you find yourself staring at that boneless, skinless, chicken breast, keep this One Skillet Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms in mind. You won’t regret it!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 heaping cups brown mushrooms
- 1-2 shallots, diced
- 1 tsp. crushed garlic (2-3 garlic cloves)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth + more if needed
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ cup + 4 tsp. white wine
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat ½ Tbsp. olive oil. Add the diced shallots and allow to cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, then add a few spoonfuls of coconut milk and 4 tsp. white wine. Add a pinch of salt and few grinds of pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from the pan, set aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken. In the same skillet, heat ½ Tbsp. olive oil and add the chicken breasts. On medium heat, cook the chicken breasts on one side, allowing to get brown and crispy. (About 8 minutes).
- Flip over and cook for another minute and then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, thyme, parsley and white wine.
- Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Serve with the mushroom sauce over the top.
*As depicted in the photos, this dish goes well with roasted vegetables such as asparagus or brussel sprouts. Also great over cooked brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product from a link, we receive a portion of the earnings. This doesn’t affect your price in any way, and we appreciate your help to keep Kiwi and Carrot up and running!