HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!
The other day, I honestly asked my mom what day Cinco de Mayo fell on this year. #blondemoment. In case there are other “blondes” like me out there, I’ll give you a quick run-down of this tremendous holiday…
Cinco de Mayo happens every 5th of May (big surprise, huh?) and is celebrated in Mexico to commemorate its victory over the French army. The Mexican people mainly celebrate with ceremonial military parades. For some reason, Americans like to find any excuse to have a holiday, so we’ve decided to celebrate Mexico’s holiday as well. But of course, we just celebrate by eating our weight in chips, salsa and enchiladas. Figures.
So, in honor of the upcoming Cinco de Mayo celebration, we’re sharing an authentic Mexican dish with you: Chicken Chilaquiles. I remember my mom making this for us growing up…it’s like Mexico’s version of comfort food.
Maybe you feel weird about “soggy” tortilla chips? Just don’t. Don’t feel weird. “Soggy” tortilla chips are dang good when they’re all mixed up with salsa verde, shredded chicken, feta cheese and fresh cilantro. Just trust us here…
One note on the eggs…
People are weird about eggs. Like my husband ordering his eggs at a restaurant, “Yes I’ll have a fried egg, but please cook it to oblivion so there’s absolutely no runniness to the yolk.” Might as well just get em scrambled, babe.
It’s ok though, I get it. So if you’re on team #nofriedeggs, just skip the egg. We’ve made it with and without, and both are equally delicious. The fried egg is just the authentic way of doing things, and we’re all about Mexican authenticity around here. I mean, we are celebrating their holiday, so we should do this meal their way, right? But no judgment to the #nofriedeggs crowd. Your tastebuds will mature some day. 😉
So, what are your plans for celebrating Cinco de Mayo? Do you have any fun traditions? I think I’m going to spend mine eating Chicken Chilaquiles and endless bowls of homemade salsa…
- 1 3/4 cup salsa verde sauce
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste (if using tortilla chips, may not need any salt)
- 3 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips OR 3 cups coarsely cut corn tortillas for healthier alternative
- 4-6 eggs
- Butter or extra-virgin olive oil for frying eggs
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Combine chicken broth and salsa verde in a large saucepan or deep skillet. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Add chicken and heat. Stir in tortilla chips/corn tortilla pieces and heat until soft.
- In a separate frying pan, heat oil and fry the eggs until whites are hardened.
- Transfer chicken mix to a platter and carefully place eggs on top.
- Stir together yogurt and milk to a thick pourable consistency. Drizzle over top of chicken mix and top with feta cheese and cilantro.
*We have made this with and without the fried eggs. Both are delicious, so if you're not a fan of fried eggs, just leave them out!